The Honest Checklist for New Parents Essentials
Expecting your first child? Busy browsing the internet for checklists? We bet you will be looking for what to pack in your hospital bag, which baby items to prepare, which baby essentials are necessary, and the list goes on.
There are just too many lists online and trust me, it’s overwhelming and can be frustrating to go through them all. At the same time, what can you do to not fall into the trap of over-buying or under-prepared?
To give you peace of mind, we have compiled an honest list for you all first time parents. Let’s keep it sweet and simple.
What to pack in mommy’s hospital bag?
- Disposable maternity pads & panties
- 2-3 sets of pyjamas in case you’re discharged late
- Going-home clothes
- Nursing bras
- Newborn sleepsuits, hats, mittens, booties (3-4 sets)
- Newborn diapers (if you’re cloth diapering or if you have brand preference for disposables)
- Swaddles (1-2 pieces)
- Birth plan & hospital appointment card (don’t forget!)
- Purse, mobile phone & charger/power bank (don’t forget!)
For daddy, remember to pack your stuff too if you’re accompanying mommy at the hospital. One more thing, please install your newborn’s car seat in your car earlier before baby is due. You’re welcome.
What does mommy need in the first 2-3 months?
Well, to be honest with you, mommy actually needs lots of SLEEP and SUPPORT from family members to make the transition into motherhood more bearable in the first 2-3 months which we call the fourth trimester.
For mommy’s post-baby body
- Bottom healing spray/c-section healing salve
- Stretch marks remedy
- Postpartum skincare
- Breast massage oil (to encourage letdown)
- Nipple cream (you will need this!)
- Breast pads (if your breasts leak; or else, you don’t need them, like me)
- Nursing cover
- Nursing pillow
What to prepare for baby?
- Baby bath care
- Baby oil/balm/lotion/cream/powder
- Baby grooming kit – brush/nail clipper
- Towel/wash cloth
- Diaper cream
- Wipes/wash cloth/cotton wool
- Changing pad
- Thermometer (you must have at least one working thermometer in your house)
- Nasal aspirator & saline spray
- All-purpose creams
What to prepare when you’re on the go with baby?
- Stroller (as lightweight and compact as possible)
- Car seat (this is compulsory)
- Diaper bag
- Baby carrier
There you go! Minimalist and honest. We hope you will find this post helpful!
Drop us a comment if you have anything else you think should be on the list. 🙂